Monday, December 2, 2013

Salad: Persimmon and Watercress




In case you missed my announcement on my birthday a few weeks ago, Friday was my last day at my job, (we were all in a food coma from the day before but if the market is open so are we.) As of today, I am a stay at home mom, yay! Unfortunately,  in my absence the last few weeks, (tying up loose ends at work) I missed posting some amazing Thanksgiving recipes... [sad face] but! today's recipe tastes so good (see what I did there!!) you'll want to make this tonight, tomorrow night, and every night this winter, (or until persimmons are out of season.) I added some toasted pepitas, (shelled pumpkin seeds) for added crunch and depth, you'll want to too... please, please, take my word for it.




Persimmon and Watercress Salad with Toasted Pepitas & Champagne Vinaigrette 
serves 8


_______________Ingredients_______________

1/4 cup raw pepita seeds, toasted
To toast pepita seeds: I use loosely use this recipe but I omit the pepper, cayenne and use lemon instead of lime
3 firm-ripe Fuyu persimmons
12 oz watercress (2 bunches), tough ends removed

for vinaigrette

2 Tbsp Champagne Vinegar
2 Tbsp minced shallot
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice, plus extra for garnish if you'd like
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and pepper

_______________Instructions_______________

1. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together champagne vinegar, shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil.

2. Peel persimmons and cut into wedges. Toss watercress and persimmons with just enough vinaigrette to lightly coat them, season with salt and pepper to taste, (I like to add an extra squeeze of lemon juice at this point) sprinkle with pepitas. serve immediately. This vinaigrette will keep for about 24 hours in the fridge.

* Adapted from Gourmet Holiday 2012
** Photos by me

No comments:

Post a Comment