Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Books About Food

When I'm not cooking, eating or drinking, I like to read things that trick my tired brain into thinking I'm cooking, eating and drinking. These food books aren't full of recipes in the traditional sense but I promise you, you'll learn as much (maybe more?) from these than any cookbook.
 

The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten: Food critic for Vogue and frequent judge on Iron Chef, Jeffrey writes about conquering foods he once found repulsive, think; kimchi, anchovies, clams and Greek food. Part witty memoir, part informative textbook.

An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler: I am on my third reading of this book, and I often have it with me in the kitchen as I cook. A lot of this book is about teaching common sense ways to cook. From cooking beans to her thoughts on blanching vegetables this book is written like a song about food. When people ask me for recommendations for a 'food book' this is the one I always go to.

French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon: I first read this book when I found out I was pregnant. I'd heard horror stories about babies and kids being finicky eaters, and moms who moonlight as short order cooks in order to nourish the bodies of little ones who turn their noses to vegetables, fish and anything that isn't pizza. Broken into what the author calls the 10 food rules, this book helped lay my fears to rest and I'm happy to report, Emma truly eats everything.

The Soul of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman: A fascinating look into the grueling work behind becoming a certified master chef. The other half of the book focuses on The French Laundry's Thomas Keller, and another Iron Chef alum, Michael Symon.

Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl: I loved this book. In fact, I need to put this back on my list of books to re-read it's that good. Ruth is the former food critic of the New York Times and the tag line tells you everything you need to know, the secret life of a critic in disguise.  READ THIS BOOK.

The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher: MFK Fisher is considered the godmother of food writing. This book is HUGE, and is a collection of her works. I'll be honest, I have only just started reading it, and decided to begin with How To Cook A Wolf , Tamar Adler references her and I see so much of the same writing traits between these two women. I know this will be a book I keep coming back to.

I hope I made enough of a case for these books... But we made some tasty home made egg nog tonight and the bourbon may have made me a little bit foggy... Am I missing anything from this list? What are your favorite types of books to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment